News and Announcements
Upcoming MetLife MyBenefits system maintenance
MetLife is migrating their MyBenefits portal to a new platform on Tuesday, May 30, from 5 to 6 p.m. If you log in to the MyBenefits portal during that time, you may experience a brief disruption of service. After the migration, the portal’s login page will have a new look. However, once logged in to your account, your information will look the same as it has in the past.
What do I need to do?
If you receive an error message while trying to log in to the MyBenefits portal, wait for five minutes, refresh the webpage, and try to log in again.
Summer ballooning for benefit premiums begin on April 10, 2023
Coverage under the University-paid PEBB insurance package of medical, dental, basic life, and basic long-term disability will continue through the summer months for full time faculty and staff on less than 11-month appointments, provided they return to eligible pay status in September.
For faculty appointments paid over the academic year (9 mos.) and staff on less than 11-month appointments, double insurance premiums are deducted (ballooned) from April 10 through June 25 to collect premiums due for July through September. If your insurance premiums are ballooned and you receive pay anytime in July through September, no medical or life premiums will be deducted. Employees on a semester schedule may have adjustments in fall if full premiums are not collected, due to the early semester end date in May.
TIAA Consulting Appointments are Available Virtually or by Phone!
Appointments are available to meet with EWU’s TIAA financial consultant who can help you create a plan or get you started planning for retirement savings. This is a free service to you! Get answers to questions such as:
- Are my investments a right mix to meet retirement goals?
- Am I saving enough for retirement?
- How will I take income from my account when I stop working?
You can schedule an online appointment with a TIAA Financial Consultant. Just click this link www.tiaa.org/schedulenow choose “Your Employer” then “Washington” then "Eastern Washington University" and you will be able to see all of the available dates and times. Robert Ashton is our EWU consultant and has insight with EWU’s plan. He can be reached at 509-842-1511 or Robert.Ashton2@tiaa.org. You can also call 1.800.732.8353 to make an appointment.
These sessions are available to all employees who participate in TIAA as a retirement plan or through the Voluntary Investment Plan.
TIAA now offers live webinars
Keep your financial goals on track with TIAA's live webinars. Visit TIAA.org/webinars to register or watch past presentations on demand.
Department of Retirement Systems (DRS) Live Webinars!
New! Live retirement webinars for DRS members and DCP participants. See available webinars.
Find out more about your retirement plan and benefits at a time and place that is convenient for you. Webinar topics include:
- Plan 2 or Plan 3 resources and questions about which plan is right for you.
- The fundamentals of your retirement plan: Contributions, benefits, investment selections (Plan 3), retirement requirements and options.
- How DCP can help you save more for retirement
- AND MUCH MORE!
- Washington State Deferred Compensation Program (DCP)
- DCP Distributions
- Plan Choice (Plan 2 or Plan 3)
- Plan 2: PERS, TRS, SERS
- Plan 2: LEOFF, WSPRS, PSERS
- Plan 3: PERS, TRS, SERS
- Plan 3 Distributions
- Purchasing an Additional Benefit
- Early Retirement (PERS, SERS, TRS)
- Getting Ready for Retirement
- Applying for Retirement
- Benefit Payment Options at Retirement
- Returning to Work After Retirement
- Nearing Retirement Seminar (webinar version)
- Medicare (guest speaker from SHIBA)
Please see the webinar schedule for the link to join the webinar, and to review the full webinar schedule for additional webinars, dates and times. It is recommended that you log into the webinar 10-15 minutes in advance to test connection and sound. Please review how to join a DRS Webinar for tips on accessing the webinar, audio, and sending questions. For login or audio assistance, please call 360.664.7930. Please be aware the audio comes through your computer so you’ll need speakers or a headset. The webinars are not recorded.
Unable to attend a webinar? While the webinars are not recorded, many of the topics are available in the video library by scrolling the video page of the DRS website.
Important health care information regarding Premium Assistance under Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and Washington Apple Health for Adults and Children
SmartHealth is Washington State's voluntary wellness program that supports you on your journey toward living well. As you progress on your wellness journey, you can also qualify for rewards. Learn more by watching the SmartHealth stories video.
New to SmartHealth? Watch the new SmartHealth How-to Video
The assessment only takes about 15 minutes, personalizes your SmartHealth experience, and is the first step toward qualifying for the $125 wellness incentive. Learn more about SmartHealth for details.
Medical Flexible Spending Arrangement
Questions and Answers
Are you an employee represented by Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) who will be making $50,004 a year or less on November 1, 2022?
- If you meet these criteria, you will receive a $250 Medical FSA contribution from your employer in January 2022. This contribution will not come out of your paycheck. You will receive it even if you don't enroll in the Medical FSA for 2023.
- However, if you enroll in a CDHP with an HSA or waive PEBB medical coverage (except to enroll as a dependent on another PEBB account), you cannot receive the $250 contribution. This benefit was negotiated by the State of Washington in the July 2021 Health Care collective bargaining agreement.
- If you are found to be eligible for this benefit and enroll in a Medical FSA for 2023, the $250 will be added to your account in January. If you are eligible but do not enroll in a Medical FSA, Navia Benefit Solutions will open an account for you and send you a welcome letter with a debit card loaded with $250.
- If you have questions about this employer-paid benefit, please contact your benefits office.
Please note - this benefit does not apply to EWU's PSE union represented employees.